Tuesday, July 22, 2014

First Letter July 3rd

Hola Family and Friends,

In case you forgot about me already I just wanted to remind you that I am in the MTC and give you an update on how I'm doing!

I won't lie to anyone, this place is hard work. It's not easy! I have been very discouraged and humbled. Its been extremely difficult for me to be patient while learning this language! I just want it to happen already!! Things are getting better and I am actually starting to enjoy this place. (After the first few days I thought I was going to hate the entire time here). As soon as I made it to Sunday things got much better! So advice to elders entering the MTC just fight through to your first Sunday and things will get better!

I'll start you at the beginning:

Day 1: things were very relaxed, we got to teach someone as a large group (this person was an MTC worker acting as an investigator) It really opened my eyes to how real missionary work is going to be!

Day 2: This is where the fun begins. ( If you call stress and language cramming fun) It is a little overwhelming spending 9 hours in a classroom, but like I said it gets better, and it doesn't bother me anymore!

Day 3: Taught our first lesson in Spanish. I know what you're thinking, "How in the world did you know enough Spanish to teach a lesson after only 2 days of learning?" Here's the good part. WE DIDN'T!!!!!!!! It was about as bad as it gets. We have taught every day since and things seem to get better every lesson! We start teaching 2 lessons a day on Monday! I also hear that by the end of our time in the MTC we will be teaching up to 5 lessons a day! You know what they say practice makes perfect (There is not a chance that we reach perfect in just six weeks! Just have to trust in the Lord that you will be able to remember everything you learn while in the MTC)

Now a little about my companion and District. My companion is Elder Christensen. He is a farmboy from Richfield, Utah. He is a very nice kid, and has a great heart!! He struggles with the language a little bit which makes teaching really difficult because I have to be the one doing most of the talking! He is a great kid, and I am glad that I got a good companion for the MTC!

My district is me and 5 others, and one of these is Elder Steven Deppe. Yes, the Steven Deppe who I grew up in the same ward as, and was baptized on the same day with! kind of crazy how things work out!

Overall the MTC has turned out to be a lot better than I thought and I am happy to be here!

I told myself I wouldn't be the elder that preaches in his emails home, but I wanted to share a quote from a devotional we had here. "The gospel of Jesus Christ is like a gift... I can tell you how awesome everything inside it is, but you will never know the blessings inside until you unwrap it yourself." 

I love you all so much and would love to hear from you! 

Sincerely,   Elder Hirsch


No comments:

Post a Comment